Syngonium podophyllum common name – Arrowhead Plant. Homeland Central and South America. In the genus of about 30 species. They are all herbaceous plants or vines. Many form aerial roots. Rhizome horizontal, rhizome. Leaves vaginal (at the base cover the stem), on long stalks. The plants in this family are very similar to the close relatives of the philodendron.
But the leaves are thinner and softer. The leaf blade is often not smooth, but with a noticeable venation and a small tuberosity. In-room conditions do not bloom. Syngonium flower is remarkable in that it changes the shape of the leaves with age – in young plants they are swept, and in older leaves with distinct lobes, and resemble a star of irregular shape, which stretched one of the rays.
- Syngonium podophyllum – with light green heart-shaped leaves, about 7-13 cm long on long stalks. The leaf plate is separate from 3-11 segments, usually fused. There are variegated varieties, different shape and color spots on the leaves.
- Syngonium auritum – with dark green leaves and bluish stem and well-developed aerial roots in the nodes. The sheet is separate from 3 to 5 segments, with a larger Central segment. Characterized by rapid growth. Sometimes blooms – inflorescence cob with a blanket of about 5 cm, light green with a reddish spot on the inside.
- Syngonium wendlandii – with dark green leaves on long stalks, three-part. The Central segment is up to 10 cm long, lateral up to 15 cm. the leaf Surface is velvety, the Central vein is silvery.
- Syngonium angustatum – leaf lobes narrower, elongated, along with the Central vein often stele-green stripe. The original appearance is pure green leaves. Leaves in this species the Cirrus, but not triple, as norcholesterol, and composed of 7-9 segments.
Syngonium podophyllum care
You can grow Arrowhead Plant as ampelous plant hanging pot high, then the branches of the plant will be a green carpet hanging down. By the way, it is very convenient to use as a support for the flower tube with moss, the plant itself is wrapped around it and grows up, reaching 1.5 – 1.8 meters in height. Good plant for hydroponic growing. Overall, the plant rapidly growing and quite unpretentious in the home.
Temperature: grows Well in warm rooms at an average of 18-20°C, and in winter not below 16°C. In special conditions, cool winter does not need, if it is light enough.
Bright ambient light, mandatory shading from direct sunlight at noon in the spring and especially in the summer – in the hot sun the plant can get burnt. The types Arrowhead Plant with dark green leaves tolerate light partial shade, variegated varieties more light-requiring, they should be East or North-West window. Winter requires good lighting, otherwise, the leaves begin to grow shallow and lose color, so the winter a flower closer to the window, or turn on nearby fluorescent or led lamp.
Should be regular, abundant in spring and summer, moderate in winter. The soil should not dry out completely, and should not remain too wet for a long time. Be guided by the depth of drying of the substrate: to the next watering, the earth in the pot should dry well in the upper third of the pot.
Feeding in the period of active growth from March to August in two weeks, a complex fertilizer for deciduous plants. If there is a lack of nutrients in the soil, the young leaves are shrinking. But the excess fertilizer is harmful, causing a completely opposite reaction – chlorosis or necrosis (Browning) of the edges of the leaves.
Frequent spraying is Necessary if the humidity is below 50%. Syngonium likes moist air, optimally 50-60%. Remember that too frequent watering does not compensate for the lack of humidity in the air. Therefore, in winter, install a humidifier or put the pot on a wide tray with wet moss or coconut fiber.
Annually or every two years in the spring. Soil – 2 parts leaf, 1 part humus, 1 part sand or vermiculite. pH is slightly acidic. The soil can be added to loosen pieces of pine bark (1/5 of the volume of land). Pot choose a wider, but shallow, with holes in the bottom. Small-leaved varieties Arrowhead plant have a tendency to grow up gradually as if getting out of the land, remain shrunken scales from old dead leaves.
This is normal, but somewhat spoils the look of the Bush, the plant looks unkempt. There is an option when transplanting to cut the lower part of the roots, plant a Bush deeper or mulch fresh earth. But in 3-4 years to completely rejuvenate the Bush: to share it when transplanting, select the most healthy part and again put together in one pot.
Cuttings and air layering. Vegetative reproduction Syngonium is not a difficulty. The stalk with a heel (a piece of a stalk), in the presence of air roots, at once put in the earth. If there are no air roots, then it is put on rooting in water or planted in a mixture of peat, vermiculite and sphagnum moss (all in equal parts) under a jar, package, or mini-greenhouse.
Arrowhead plant rarely prone to pest attacks, but sometimes he hit the thrips and scale insects.
Similar to brown, sometimes translucent, convex warts, covered with a hard shield, with a wet spot remains. Settle on leaves on both sides and stems. The damaged plant slows down or stops growth, leaves dry up.
Control measures. Manually wipe pests with a soap sponge from each sheet. Water the soil and spray with systemic insecticide. In case of severe defeat, repeat the treatment. You can spray aktellik, phytoverm, etc. insecticides.
On the upper side of the sheet appear bright spots, streaks, spots of irregular shape with a silvery sheen (like mica). Sometimes the leaves are black tar drops and dirty gray husks. The leaves quickly dry up, the plant stops growing.
Control measures. Leaves wipe with a soapy sponge to remove the allocation of pests. The plant should be sprayed, if necessary, repeatedly with insecticides (phytoverm, aktellik, INTA-VIR). You can water the soil with actara. In case of severe defeat, repeat the treatment.
Mites are extremely harmful to the Syngonium if you get into the house from the street by ventilation or contaminated plants. Them not immediately noticeable – the leaves Arrowhead plant enough light, from the tick they become grayer, through the lumen of the sheet reveals a very frequent point-punctures. Then yellow spots. Sometimes the leaves turn yellow, and mites are not visible (some kinds can only be detected in the microscope), the web is not always the case.
In this case, arrange the plant hot shower: put in the bathroom on its side and pour 2 minutes of the hot shower first on one side, then on the other. Repeat in three days. And so 4-5 times. But the soil through time you need to close the foil to avoid overwatering, don’t water until the dry out. From chemicals help acaricides (phytoverm, aktellik, castor, etc.).
- Dry brown tips or edges of leaves – because of too dry air.
- Leaves become pale and lose their Shine due to too high humidity or excessive watering, as the leaves turn pale if the plant is too dark.
- New leaves are smaller than old ones – due to lack of lighting or nutrients in the soil.
- The variegated forms of the Syngonium lose their color and become almost green – due to lack of light.
- If there are brown spots on the edge or in the center of the leaf blade on the Arrowhead plant, first of all, review the irrigation regime. Maybe you’re watering the plant too hard.
In addition, the flooding, acidification of the earth and slowing growth lead to planting Syngonium in too large a pot (photo right), and too heavy, dense soil.